The Student News Site of Elmwood Park High School

The Tiger

The Tiger

The Tiger

Winter Holidays in Italy

Winter Holidays in Italy

The holidays are a big part of many traditions around the world. They bring friends and family together. In this final EPHS news publication of 2023, let’s take a trip to Italy.

The Holidays

The Christmas holidays in Italy start with the first Sunday of Advent, which falls on the fourth Sunday before Christmas (a different date each year between late November/early December) and lasts through January 6th, known as Epiphany (Epifania). On this day, The Three (Kings, Re in Italian) Wise Men arrived in Bethlehem with their gifts for Baby Jesus.

The Folklore of La Befana: The Italian, Female Version of Santa Claus

On the eve of the Epiphany, January 5th, there is a visit from la Befana, which means “the good witch or hag.” La Befana flies around on her broom, bringing sweets and treats to good children. She also sweeps the floor (she was a great housekeeper), as this is meant to “sweep away” the problems of the previous year, leaving the family with a fresh start for the new year.  

As the legend goes, la Befana is unable to travel with The Three Kings on the night they set off to find The Newborn King (Baby Jesus) because she isn’t done with her housework yet. Later on, when she is finished, she sets off with a bag full of gifts for The Newborn King. She looks all night and can’t find him, so instead she gives her gifts to all the children.

The Decor

The Nativity Scene (“Presepi” in Italian) is the main focal point of many Italian Christmas decorations. Whether it is a homemade tabletop manger scene or a life size scale model hand-crafted by skilled artisans,

A nativity scene in Naples, Italy (Unknown)

they are always elaborate and detail-oriented works of art. They are very different from the simple displays we have here in the U.S. Large, ornate Nativity scenes can be seen in the piazzas and churches throughout Italy. Some towns have displays as large and grand as a Chicago city block. The scenes not only depict the typical manger with Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus but also include the 3 Kings, the shepherds, and their livestock, plus the Angel as the backdrop of Bethlehem.

The Food

You can’t talk about Italy without mentioning the food.

Salty, sweet, savory & spicy… a traditional Christmas feast can have up to twelve courses. 

Conclusion

These are some of the many holiday traditions in Italy. I wanted to write this because of my mother and her side of the family. This article is for them. I am proud and happy to be able to share these traditions, which have become very important to me, and my culture with all of you. Happy holidays, EPHS!