The Student News Site of Elmwood Park High School

The Tiger

The Tiger

The Tiger

Above is the 2024 girls soccer team. Their record being 9-2 with 1 tie.
EPHS Senior Nights
June 5, 2024
Scream Movie Review
Scream Movie Review
June 5, 2024

Spike for a Cause

Here+were+all+of+the+participating+teachers+that+were+there+to+compete+for+the+trophy.+They+really+showed+their+volleyball+skills.+
Here were all of the participating teachers that were there to compete for the trophy. They really showed their volleyball skills.
This is a group photo of the team that made Spike For A Cause possible. They worked extremely hard to make this a successful event.

What is Spike?

Spike For A Cause was on November 3rd, 2023; it was a district wide volleyball event that raised money for the Alzheimer’s Association. There was an Elmwood Elementary team, John Mills team, Elm Middle School team, and two EPHS teams. They all battled it out for the chance to win the traveling trophy. Winning the trophy meant that the building principal would have to sing karaoke at the next assembly. The losing principals will be getting pied.

Participants

The whole district participated at this event. John Mills and Elm had amazing supporters who chanted all night long. Elmwood Elementary put up a good fight against John Mills but lost in the first round. Elm Middle school had a lot of support from their students as they beat EPHS in the first round. Finally, EPHS had lots of fans showing their home field advantage.

This is a picture of the Mayor Skip Saviano and superintendant Dr. Leah Gauthier. They both really liked the event and can’t wait to come and watch it in the future.

Co-Chairs

Rayan Lahlou-nabil and Nicole Taha worked extremely hard on this event since June, getting sponsors, figuring out when the teams should play, determining how long each team should play, and ensuring that everything was right. When asked if Spike for a Cause was as successful as they hoped, if there was a high attendance rate at the games, and how they felt about the Alzheimer’s association, they replied…

Rayan Lahlou-Nabil:

“Spike for a Cause was genuinely better than we could have ever imagined. Nicole and I wanted to expand this event as we knew our community and schools needed something to bring everyone together and understand the importance of supporting the Alzheimer’s Association.

This is a picture of the sponsors. They had 16 sponsors in total that contributed to over $4,500 to the Alzheimer’s Association.

“The amount of community involvement including the sponsorships from local businesses, teacher participation, administration approval, and the number of supporters were truly remarkable. Thank you to everyone who made this event possible! While Nicole and I won’t be back next year, we are excited to see the future and growth of Spike For A Cause. Thank you again!”

Nicole Taha:

“Ever since last year, Rayan and I have been brainstorming ideas on expanding Spike For A Cause, with the goal of making it district-wide! We knew it wouldn’t be easy and would require a lot of time and dedication, but it was all SO worth it. The event was even more successful than I ever anticipated it to be. We had so much support from the district and businesses in the local community and got to not only meet, but drastically exceed our goals! I am very proud of the Elmwood Park community and super grateful for all the support in putting light on such an amazing cause that we and millions of people hold so close to their hearts worldwide.”

This is the Middle School championship team. Fans bombarded the court to take a picture with them.

The Winner

In the finals, it was John Mills vs Elm Middle School. It was a close match, but in the end, Elm Middle School pulled through and won the championship.

Congratulations, Cougars!

This is a picture of the winning team. Everyone played a role in Elm’s victory!

Spike for a Cause raised $9,000 for the Alzheimer’s Association!

This was very impressive as this was only the second year! The goal according to advisor, Karen Bear, is “to continue uniting the community and supporting such a great cause”. Make sure you come out and support your school next year!!

Spike For A Cause was an amazing event. It was super successful. Thank you to all of the participating teachers who came out for the event.

Works Cited:

• Karen Bear, personal interview. 3 November 2023.
  • Nicole Taha, personal Interview. 10 November 2023.
  • Rayan Lahlou-nabil, personal Interview. 10 November 2023.