The Student News Site of Elmwood Park High School

The Tiger

The Tiger

The Tiger

Above is the 2024 girls soccer team. Their record being 9-2 with 1 tie.
EPHS Senior Nights
June 5, 2024
Scream Movie Review
Scream Movie Review
June 5, 2024

Ronaldo vs Messi

The GOAT Debate

In the world of soccer, one rivalry has captured the hearts and minds of fans like no other: the epic battle between Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. These two legendary players have dominated the sport for over a decade, and their rivalry has been the stuff of legends. It’s a debate that transcends club loyalties and divides nations. Messi and Ronaldo, two names that will forever be engraved in the records of football history.

Messi and Ronaldo next to each other playing in El Classico (via TheScore)

Origins of the Rivalry

The Messi vs. Ronaldo rivalry began when the Argentine and the Portuguese superstar simultaneously rose to prominence in the mid-2000s. Messi, a product of Barcelona’s famous La Masia academy, and Ronaldo, who made his mark with Sporting Lisbon and later Manchester United, brought distinct styles and personalities to the game.

Playing Styles

Messi dribbling past 5 Getafe defenders at Camp Nou (via SI)

Messi is often praised for his dribbling skills, close control, and extraordinary vision on the pitch. His low center of gravity and agility allow him to navigate through tight spaces, and his pinpoint passing and playmaking abilities make him a versatile and influential figure on the field. Messi’s audience in Barcelona saw him dominate the game with his unique style, winning 8 of the Ballon d’Or award (given to the best football player of the year) and 4 Champions League titles (the most prestigious award an European Club could win), solidifying him as the person with the most Ballon d’Or awards in history.

Ronaldo scoring a bycicle kick against Juventus (via Yahoo Sports)

On the other hand, Ronaldo’s game is characterized by his incredible speed, strength, and aerial ability. He’s an amazing goal scorer who can score from almost any position on the field. His career has seen him conquer England, Spain, Italy, and international football. Ronaldo’s competitive spirit and work ethic are often praised, and he’s also claimed 5 Ballon d’Or awards and 5 Champions League titles.

Clubs & Achievements

The Messi vs. Ronaldo rivalry reached its peak when both players were competing in La Liga. Messi with Barcelona and Ronaldo with Real Madrid. Their El Clásico clashes were highly anticipated, captivating millions of fans worldwide. Both players achieved astonishing records during their time in Spain with Messi setting new standards for goals and assists while Ronaldo showcased his skills in leading Real Madrid to consecutive Champions League titles. However, the rivalry transcended club football. Messi’s loyalty to Barcelona and Ronaldo’s desire to test himself in different leagues led to a constant comparison of their achievements. Messi’s success at Barcelona and Ronaldo’s stints with Manchester United, Real Madrid, Juventus, and eventually his return to Manchester United fueled the ongoing debate.

Messi (left) with all his awards becoming the most decorated soccer player in history (via Bleacher Report). Ronaldo (right) with all his individual awards (via The Sun).

International Stage

The rivalry extended to the international stage as Messi and Ronaldo carried the hopes of their respective nations. The Argentine endured his share of criticism for not winning a major international tournament until the 2021 Copa America,  2022 World Cup, and the 2022 Finalissima. In contrast, Ronaldo helped Portugal win the 2016 UEFA European Championship and the 2019 UEFA Nations League, further intensifying the comparison.

Ronaldo (left) kissing Euro trophy after winning it in 2016 with his national team Portugal (via theScore). Messi (right) kissing the World Cup trophy after winning it with his national team Argentina in 2022 (via Sports Illustrated).

The Messi vs. Ronaldo rivalry is more than a competition between two players, it’s a testament to the enduring appeal of soccer. Their enduring influence on the sport will continue long after they hang up their boots. Whether you’re Team Messi or Team Ronaldo, there’s no denying that this rivalry has enriched the game, providing us with unforgettable moments and unforgettable debates. As football fans, we’ve been privileged to witness this epic rivalry, and its legacy will remain in the history of soccer for generations to come.

Works Cited

• https://www.messivsronaldo.app/
Donate to The Tiger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Elmwood Park High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.