The Student News Site of Elmwood Park High School

The Tiger

The Tiger

The Tiger

Packers vs. Bears

Intro

This is one of the most valued pictures of the two teams. It was when the tensions were high in between the two teams.

The Packers and Bears have had an ongoing rivalry for years. In this article, we will dig deeper and try to find out which team really is the better football team through different stats and polls surveying students from EPHS. This rivalry began all the way back in 1921, and while the Packers did beat the Bears 38-20 on Sunday, September 10th, let’s try and find out who really is the best team.

Quick Stats:

This is a poll sent out to the students of EPHS. They were asked to choose which team they think is better, the Packers or the Bears. The results were that the Bears won by 1 vote.
  • The Packers beat the Bears 106 times.
  • The Bears beat the Packers 95 times.
  • The Packers and the Bears tied 6 times.
  • The Packers have won 4 Super Bowls.
  • The Bears have won 1 Super Bowl.

The Last Packers vs. Bears Game Recap

Packers fans were nervous on September 10th. With the loss of Aaron Rodgers and the gain of Jordan Love, they weren’t sure which way the game would go. Luckily for them, and unfortunately for me, Jordan Love and the rest of the team did in fact pull through. As a Bears fan, I was overconfident about the bears. I thought we had the best team in the NFL. I even expected the Bears to go crazy and win by at least 20 points. At least that’s what I thought…
The Packers started off with one touchdown, which was followed by a field goal by the Bears. The Bears then stopped the Packers on the next drive. The Bears offense received the ball and went all the way down the field but were tackled for a loss that took them to 4th down. They were forced to take the field goal which was drilled by Bears kicker, Cairo Santos. The Bears were only down by one point, until everything started to go downhill…
At the start of the second half, the Packers had the ball. They had a very successful drive and ended it with a field goal. At that point the Packers were beating the Bears 10-6. Then it was the Bears ball, but they got stopped by the Packers defense. When the third quarter started the Packers scored a touchdown which made it 17-6. The Packers, yet again, stopped the Bears which really brought the momentum to an all-time low. The Packers took that ball all the way to score a touchdown, making it 24-6. The Bears finally responded and scored a touchdown to make it 24-12 and took a two point conversion to make it 24-14. The Packers scored 2 more touchdowns in the 4th quarter to seal the game at 38. The Bears did score a touchdown in the last few seconds of the game but it was too late. The final score ended up at 38-20, with a win for the Packers.

Green Bay Packers safety Mark Murphy (37) and Chicago Bears tight end Cap Boso (86) exchange words during the third quarter of a game, the Bears would win 23-10 on Nov. 29, 1987, at Solider Field in Chicago.
This is one of the most recent photos of the rivalry. This rivalry has been going on for more than a century. It started in 1921 and is still going on to this day.

Conclusion

While there can’t really be a true answer as to which team really is the better team, the Bears do have a lead here in Elmwood Park as a bit over 50% of students think they are the better team, but, statistically speaking, the Packers have a better record and have racked up more wins against the Bears. They did also win again in this most recent game. Stay tuned to see which team will win in January, the Packers or the Bears.

Work Cited

• Richard Ryman. “Packers vs Bears 3 preseason games”. Green Bay Press-Gazette