The Student News Site of Elmwood Park High School

The Tiger

The Tiger

The Tiger

Above is the 2024 girls soccer team. Their record being 9-2 with 1 tie.
EPHS Senior Nights
June 5, 2024
Scream Movie Review
Scream Movie Review
June 5, 2024

The Boston Bruins

The Bruins first pre-season game against the NY Rangers.

Bruins Pre-Season

With the 2023–2024 NHL Season right around the corner, Bruins fans all around the country are wondering how our team’s pre-season is going so far. The first official pre-season game, of which there are a total of six, starts on Sunday, September 24th, at 4 p.m. against the New York Rangers. Tune in and watch as Brad Marchand commands the Bruins for the first time. Marchand was prompted to be team captain with the retirement of the previous team captain.

We are sad to say goodbye to Patrice Bergeron, our 38-year-old team captain since 2021. Patrice tells reporters, “Thank you, Bruins, and the wonderful city of Boston for taking me under his wing.” For all of his 19 seasons, Patrice has only played for the Bruins. Including this loss, the Bruins’ preseason has been anything but uneventful, with some serious changes to the player lineup.

A Bruins Anniversary

Pictured above are the new 2023-2024 jerseys. Black represents home games. White represents the away games. White and yellow are to celebrate their 100th year anniversary.

The Bruins revealed three jersey designs they are using to celebrate their 100th year in the NHL. The Bruins first owner was Charles Adams, who bought the team for a total of $15,000, which made the Bruins the first American-based team in the NHL. The Bruins new jersey, a black home jersey, is modern and has a sleek design, unlike their road jersey, which is white with few sleek elements. For a select few home games, the Bruins will wear a special jersey that is white with large yellow chunks to look like the 1924 jersey.

Bruins 2023-2024 Player Lineup

At the age of 32, Alex Chiasson is being signed as the Boston Bruins right wing after playing a season with the Red Wings that was eventful. There are high hopes for this veteran of hockey. 

Let’s also keep an eye out for Brad Marchand, a forward for the Bruins who has been promoted to team captain after 15 years of playing for the team. Marchand said he is “extremely proud and honored to take over the role of Patrice Bergeron”. Following the retirements of Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci, Pavel Zacha and Charlie Coyle received massive promotions as the Bruins’ new centers. Pavel Zacha and Charlie Coyle have big shoes to fill due to the Bruins switching from an offense team to a team that starts relying on goal-tending, a dramatic switch for the new centers.

Brad Marchand, the Bruins forward and now team caption, is a long time player with 15 years on the Bruins team.
Alex Chiasson (above), a former Red Wings player. Now, he is the Bruins new right wing who has a lot of support.

Conclusion

With the first game of the 2023-2024 being held on October 24th at 7:30 p.m. at the United Center, hopes are high. With new players on both teams, including Connor Bedard as the Blackhacks newest star of the show after being a 1st round pick, it will be an evenful match up. Will this be the redemption for the Blackhawks after the 2019 Winter after the Bruins swept them out of the rink? Or will the Bruins continue being victorious over the Hawks?  We will see if Connor Bedard and Alex Chaisoon are great additions for each of their teams playing styles.

Works Cited: 

• Bruins preseason in the NHL on the official NHL websites ://www.nhl.com/bruins/search?query=bruins
  • Bruins 100th year in the NHl documented on the official NHl website
  • https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nhl/boston-bruins/boston-bruins-captains-full-list-teams-100