Iconic Romance Movies

Iconic Romance Movies

Valentine’s Day is around the corner and I decided to put together a list of popular romance movies. Some may make your heart flutter, some may make you cry, and some just might make you feel both at the same time! Take a look down below to see some of the most iconic romance films. Who knows, maybe your favorite or new favorite movie is on the list!

1. Five Feet Apart (2019)

Five Feet Apart is a film that tells the story of two teenagers who fall in love but are kept apart, both physically and emotionally, by their illness. Stella and Will are Cystic Fibrosis patients who can’t get within six feet of each other without risking infection. However, the two find a way to make the distance work. Stella and Will have brought their distance of six feet apart, down to five feet apart.

This film will have you feeling a mix of emotions, ranging from empathy, compassion, all the way to sadness. It touches on the challenges that Stella and Will encountered as well as their determination to feel love despite their circumstances.

2. Romeo & Juliet (1996)

Two young lovers from feuding families, the Montagues and the Capulets, Romeo and Juliet’s passionate love defies the social and familial boundaries that seek to keep them apart. Their love leads them to a series of unfortunate events. Due to the passionate love that they share, their family conflict, and the consequences of their impulsive actions, this movie will keep you at the edge of your seat.

Forbidden love is so hard to watch, especially when you can feel the strong sense of emotion. Romeo & Juliet will put you on an emotional rollercoaster as you feel a range of emotions such as: passion, desire, and the big wave of sadness when it comes to their tragic fate.

3. Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Pride and Prejudice follows the Bennet family, specifically Elizabeth Bennet. Due to the estate being entailed a male cousin, it is imperative that at least one of the Bennet daughters marry a wealthy man who can provide monetary support for her whole family once the estate is gone. Elizabeth believes Mr. Darcy contains too much pride, and Elizabeth is now prejudiced against Mr. Darcy’s perceived pride. Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy’s growing feelings for each other, with the recognition that each had misinterpreted the other, while exterior forces try to persuade them away from each other.

Misinterpretations! We hate them in general, especially in romance content. Despite that being said, the excitement and anticipation of seeing how the two navigate their relationship makes for a great watch. There’s also tension as you root for Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy to overcome their misunderstandings. In other words, it’s another fun roller coaster ride.

4. High School Musical (2006)

Troy Bolton is the star athlete while Gabriella Montez is the nerd. The two meet at a holiday karaoke party. When they meet again at school, they both audition for the school musical. This causes some drama within their friends groups. The two face issues with complications of the basketball team and the academic decathlon.

You can never truly go wrong with a cliche romance trope like the popular athlete and the intelligent new girl, right? Follow along as Troy and Gabriella fight to break stereotypes, embracing their true identities, and following their passions along with the pressure of high school.

5. After (2019)

The story follows Tessa Young who is portrayed as the innocent good girl that becomes involved in a relationship with the mysterious bad boy with a troubled past on campus, Hardin Scott. As their relationship develops, they are faced with challenges and obstacles. Even though they share a love that is so intense and passionate, it’s not exactly enough to just mask the complications that are present.

This movie displays the experience of first love, self discovery, and the complexities of love and relationships. Tessa and Hardin navigate issues of trust, internal challenges, and influence of their past. It dives into the journey of young love and finding one’s true self. You might find yourself lost in the intense love story as you feel the chemistry between the two characters, and the ups and downs of their journey.

Conclusion

Out of these romance movies, my favorite one would have to be After. It’s such a good movie, and it’s also a series of movies that consist of 5 total movies. The movie series is also a book series. Most of these movies were books first, the only one not a book first is High School Musical. If you’re interested in reading books rather than watching movies, or want to compare the two, this movie list is just for you. Have fun watching and possibly reading!