The Student News Site of Elmwood Park High School

The Tiger

The Tiger

The Tiger

Above is the 2024 girls soccer team. Their record being 9-2 with 1 tie.
EPHS Senior Nights
June 5, 2024
Scream Movie Review
Scream Movie Review
June 5, 2024

Girls Varsity Soccer Overview

With the 2024 Girls Soccer season coming to an end, I thought it would be a great idea to write an overview about the season and everyone’s opinions about the season for each of them personally. I emailed some of the girls asking them for more insight. They all had a lot to say in response to the following questions. 

• What do you think the team strengths are?
  • What do you think you or the team could have improved on?
  • Did the season go the way you intended it to go?
  • How would you describe your experience during this season?
  • What is your favorite memory from this season?

Megan Nettelhorst

Team Strengths: “I think the team strengths are that we all get along with each other and have a strong connection. I think it really improves us as a team when we understand each other on a different level.”

Need to Improve: “I think early on in the season we needed to recognize how everyone on the team plays in order to play better as a team, and throughout the season we did this and got better.”

Season Thoughts: “The season went really well. I’m proud of how the team came together and how everyone played their part.”

Favorite Memory: “I have a few favorite memories: the team bonfire where everyone brought food, our candy salad on the way to the Addison Trail game, and our funny shirt exchange where we each gave another person a funny shirt that they had to wear to practice. Nana’s was the best.”

Megan Nettelhorst (Junior), Whose primary position is Full Back, (Dave Porreca).

Nella Iversen

Team Strengths: “I believe our team’s strongest strength is our persistence to continue the game, even if the game isn’t going the way we want it to.”

Need to Improve: “One thing I thought we could have worked on a little more as a team would be being able to trust one another and believe that as a team we can do amazing things.”

Season Thoughts: “Yes! This being my first season of soccer in high school I am very happy with how the season went. It was everything I imagined and more.”

Personal Experience: “My experience this season was great! I met many new people and made many friends and was able to have a great first season experience.”

Favorite Memory: “My favorite memory this season has to be the practices; we were able to have a good time while still practicing on the skills that we needed to improve on in order to be prepared for the upcoming games.”

Nella Iversen (Freshman), Whose main position is Full Back, (Dave Porreca).

Sarah Scheidt

Team Strengths: “The team’s strengths are being able to respond quickly, never giving up, and always counting on one another to have each other backs.”

Need to improve: “One thing our team could improve on is starting off strong right away. Sometimes it takes us getting scored on to come back and this can occasionally cost us the game”.

Season Thoughts: “Our season went really well this year, winning the majority of our games, and I can’t wait to see what next year holds for us.”

Personal Experience: “At the beginning of the season, I was really nervous to be playing but quickly got comfortable with the team. I made lots of new friendships and was able to enjoy the sport I love to play. Not only did I make new friends, but I was able to play with my sister and one of my closest friends, Nella. The team was a blast to be around and the mood was always fun and uplifting. The coaches were supportive and motivated our team, and I can’t wait for next season.”

Favorite Memory: “Although there were lots of memories made this year, I would have to say my favorite memory would have to be the bus ride to Addison Trail High School. We made a candy salad and listened to music, then proceeded to spill half of the candy salad on the track walking to our bench.”

Sarah Scheidt (Freshman), Whose main position is Striker, (Dave Porreca).

The girls were able to advance to play in Regionals against Nazareth Academy, but their season sadly ended when they lost to Road Runners (3-1). Since interviewing the girls, I am able to say they have had nothing but an incredible season, even though it didn’t end the way they had hoped. They did have an amazing record with 11 wins 3 ties and only 1 loss.They were also seeded the second team in the conference, tied with Riverside Brookfield. Since the team did such an amazing job this year, I just can’t wait to see what they have in store for next year!

Work Cited:

N.Iversen, personal interview, May 14,2024

M.Nettelhorst, personal interview, May 13,2024

S.Scheidt, personal interview, May 16,2024