The Student News Site of Elmwood Park High School

The Tiger

The Tiger

The Tiger

SEMA 2023

SEMA 2023

What is SEMA ?

Above is the Dodge booth at the 2022 SEMA show.

SEMA is a sector of the car manufacturing community where people who would like to make their vehicles unique have a chance to browse the market in person at an event that is held every first week of November. SEMA is not only for the manufactors of aftermarket parts, it’s also for the community of millions of car enthusiasts who would like to show off what they have built out of their passion. SEMA is a community of car enthusiasts from all over the world who have the chance to see some of the most unique and bespoke cars. With over 130,000 people attending last year, SEMA is still expected to grow due to massive amounts of popularity.

The History of SEMA

Above is Matt Armstrong’s Rs6 Avant, which he built and shipped from the UK.

SEMA is a sector of the car manufacturing community where people who would like to make their vehicles unique have a chance to browse the market in person at an event that is held every first week of November. SEMA is not only for the manufacturers of aftermarket parts, it’s also for the community of millions of car enthusiasts who would like to show off what they have built out of their passion. SEMA is a community of car enthusiasts from all over the world who have the chance to see some of the most unique and bespoke cars. With over 130,000 people attending last year, SEMA is still expected to grow due to massive amounts of popularity.

Here we have TJ Hunt’s G82 GT3 race car.

In 1963, a group of small scale performance part manufacturers came together to talk about a growing market of hot rods. At the time, the industry lacked a unified voice, and these companies sought to create an organization that could represent their interests and promote the growth of the aftermarket automotive parts and accessories market. This small meeting is what led to the now known SEMA (Specialty Equipment Marketing Association).

TJ Hunt’s Journey to SEMA 

TJ Hunt is a well-respected car YouTuber known for his crazy car content, This year for SEMA, he decided he would build a car like no other, taking a stock G82 M4 and turning it into a M4 GT3 race car. This was no easy task due to the number of man hours spent chopping and making custom brackets for the body kit they needed to fit the car. The body kit itself is made of carbon fiber, meaning that it is extremely light and durable, which played a big factor in the Hunt crew shaving off almost 270 pounds off the car. The carbon not only helps with weight savings but also looks stunning when polished. Even with the car being carbon, the team decided to paint its British racing green. This project took over 2,000 man hours just to have the body kit fit perfectly.

Tavarish Journey to SEMA

Tavarish, a car rebuild channel, decided for their challenge they were going to rebuild a $2 million McLaren P1 that was damaged in a flood during Hurricane Ian. The reason that the McLaren is such a project is due to the fact that it has a $150,000 battery in the back to support the hybrid drive system. The battery system is the least of the problems since the car was submerged in salt water. The result of the car being under water is that there are large amounts of rust, which means the car is dangerous to be on the road. Tavarish has already spent 3,000 hours on the car and isn’t even halfway done, but he has cleaned the whole car, rebuilt the motor, and put it back into the car.

Conclusion

Fans all over the world are anticipating huge things from these modest shops all over the world, despite the fact that the show is just one week long. Whether you’re searching for trucks or supercars, SEMA has it all because the organization has raised millions of dollars for small shops and businesses involving autos parts all across the world.

Works Cited:

• About the Sema Show.” SEMA SHOW 2024, www.semashow.com/. Accessed 27 Nov. 2023.
  • “Car Accessories.” Thehuntandcompany, thehuntandcompany.com/collections/car-accessories. Accessed 27 Nov. 2023.
  • YouTube, YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAhDxNNUDhi78tMXVGBUaQ. Accessed 27 Nov. 2023.