The Student News Site of Elmwood Park High School

The Tiger

The Tiger

The Tiger

Olivia Rodrigo
Olivia Rodrigo
April 23, 2024
Shark Breeds!
Shark Breeds!
April 23, 2024

My Predictions for the Super Bowl LVIII

My Predictions for the Super Bowl LVIII

Background on This Year’s Super Bowl

The Super Bowl is one of the most anticipated days of the year for America. The Super Bowl matchup for this season is set as the Kansas City Chiefs will be playing the San Francisco 49ers. Recently, the Chiefs beat the Baltimore Ravens 17-10 to advance. The 49ers beat the Detroit Lions, coming back from a 17-point deficit at halftime to win 34-31. With the rematch of the 2020 Super Bowl, where the Chiefs won 31-20, a different outcome may be bound to happen.

A picture of Brock Purdy after advancing to the Super Bowl.

Some Stats:

The 49ers seem to be the underdog going up against Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs, who have made it to the AFC Championship 6 years in a row. The Chiefs have a top-6 offense as well as the #2 overall defense in the league. The Chiefs rushing defense is one of their weaknesses as they are ranked #17 out of 32 teams. The 49ers having arguably the best halfback in the league. With Christian McCaffrey, who will be the key to their success in the Super Bowl matchup.

A picture of Patrick Mahomes carrying the Lombardi Trophy.

Who Has the Upper-Hand?

Going into this game the Chiefs have the upper-hand in many aspects. Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes who is in his 7th year in the league and has won 2 Super Bowls. The inexperience of 49ers quarterback Brock Purdy, who is only in his 2nd year in the league, may give the Chiefs another advantage. The 49ers have the #2 ranked offense in the league with one of the best rushing offenses, which could be a major problem for the Chiefs. Focusing on stopping the 49ers rushing game could be the key factor to Mahomes winning his 3rd Super Bowl.

My Prediction

Although I personally want the 49ers to win, the Chiefs have been very consistent with them winning their last 5 games. Being the defending champs, I believe that consistency will be the key to the Chiefs winning. Although the 49ers came back from being down 7-24 against the Lions at halftime, I think that inconsistency could be the reason for their downfall. Overall it looks like an exciting matchup with the NFL’s very divided fan bases bragging rights on the line.

Work Cited:

• Dubin, Jared. (2024) “2024 Super Bowl: Chiefs vs. 49ers position-by-position breakdown, where each team holds edge in Super Bowl 58” Available at: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-super-bowl-chiefs-vs-49ers-position-by-position-breakdown- where-each-team-holds-edge-in-super-bowl-58/lebron-james-legacy-better-worse-empire.
  • ESPN Staff “Super Bowl 2024: Predictions Experts Pick 49ers Chiefs Score, MVP”. Available at: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39464471/super-bowl-2024-predictions-experts-pick-49ers-chiefs-score-mvp
  • TheGOATHouse(2024) “SUPER BOWL 58 PICKS | NFL AWARDS 2023/24” Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDw9tXu53Ck