The Student News Site of Elmwood Park High School

The Tiger

The Tiger

The Tiger

Olivia Rodrigo

Rise to Fame
Olivia+Rodrigo

Olivia Rodrigo is an American singer-songwriter and actress who has many big-hits such as: “Vampire”, “Driver’s License”, & “Deja Vu”. Her newest hit, “Can’t Catch Me Now” hitting the charts. In this article of The Tiger, I will be writing about Olivia Rodrigo and many of her biggest achievements. 

Who is Olivia Rodrigo?

Olivia Rodrigo started singing lessons that her parents enrolled her in and competed in local contests and talent shows. Her Mother, Jennifer Rodrigo introduced Olivia to alternative rock bands, such as: No Doubt, White Stripes , and Smashing Pumpkins. Later on, she started her acting career at 12 years old on the Disney Channel show Bizaardvark. Olivia would later go on to star in High School Musical: The Musical. The series was one of her biggest roles in the Disney Channel when she played Nina Salazar-Roberts, the female lead opposite actor Joshua Bassett, making her well-known with teens. While on the show, she wrote the song “All I Want”. Soon after, she signed a contract with Geffen Records. Olivia used her acting background as a foundation and started pursuing a music career. 

During the 2022 Grammys, Olivia Rodrigo won Best New Artist. This was the first Grammy she won.

Biggest Hits

In 2020, Olivia signed the record label deal with Geffen Records and in January, 2021, she released her biggest hit “Driver’s License” with a total of 4.5 million views. This song also won Best Pop Solo Performance at the Grammys. Another one of her biggest hits is “Deja Vu” which has 1 billion streams on Spotify. The song tells how she loved a boy in high school but he found another girl. Many fans think she is talking about Joshua Bassett, her ex-boyfriend, who started dating Sabrina Carpenter, but Olivia has denied those rumors. Overall, Olivia Rodrigo has achieved three Billboard Hot 100 Number-One Singles and two Billboard 200 Number-One Albums. At the Grammys, she also won Best New Artist and Best Pop Vocal Album for Sour

Olivia Rodrigo’s leading single for this album, “Vampire”, which topped the Billboard Hot 100 soon after it was released.

GUTS Album

With songs like “Vampire”, “get him back!” and “bad idea right?”, the GUTS album was released in September 2023 and is a sensational hit that attracted many fans. GUTS displays more pop-punk and rock than Sour. The album earned Rodrigo her first trio of awards at the 2022 Grammys and Soars from No. 20 to No. 3. Fans pushed it up to 60.9 million streams on Spotify and about 302,000 albums were sold in the United States alone.

Olivia Rodrigo GUTS World Tour Poster.

GUTS World Tour

GUTS World Tour will start on Feb 24, 2024, and the first city she will be performing in is Palm Springs, California. The tour will go across America and some cities in Canada and a total of 75 performances. Some cities she is touring are Miami, Dallas, Chicago, Columbus, Boston, and New York. Olivia Rodrigo’s GUTS Tour is an exciting event that many of her fans are looking forward to. 

Conclusion

Olivia Rodrigo started pursuing her dream of singing at the age of 12. Now, the 21 year-old has nearly seven billboard awards. She is a talented artist who is on her journey to success.

Work Cited:

(n.d.). Retrieved April 19, 2024, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2024/03/08/olivia-rodrigos-debut-album-is-on-the-risealmost-four-years-after-its-release/?sh=6927706870fbhttps://time.com/6050587/olivia-rodrigo-sour/

Sheffield, R., Lotz, G., Livingston, D., Mazur, K., & Winkelmeyer, M. (2023, September 13). Every Olivia Rodrigo Song Ranked. Rolling Stone. Retrieved April 19, 2024, from https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/every-olivia-rodrigo-song-ranked-1234821374/

Donate to The Tiger

Your donation will support the student journalists of Elmwood Park High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.