The Student News Site of Elmwood Park High School

The Tiger

The Tiger

The Tiger

Formula 1 in America

Why America?

The growing popularity of Formula 1 in America is resulting in more and more Grand Prix being held during the 2024 season. The reason for the growth of the sport is a Netflix documentary called Drive to Survive, which follows all the drivers. Drive to Survive is the Formula 1 version of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. To maximize the fan-base and the people who watch Formula 1, the Federation Internationale de I’Automobile (FIA) decided to host three races in the streets that never sleep. The race calendar has a total of 3 U.S. races throughout the season. The first race is held in Miami on Sunday, May 5th and then on Sunday, October 20th, we will see the U.S. Grand Prix. Finally, for one of the last races of the season, we will see Las Vegas, which is held on Sunday, November 24th.

The Mercedes taking turn 14 at the U.S Gp. In the background we see the COTA Tower which is 251 feet tall.

Welcome to Miami

The first race we get to see in the U.S. is the Miami Gp, which is a race circuit based around the Hard Rock Stadium Complex. The Miami Gp is a unique race as it’s built around the football stadium that hosts the Miami Dolphins. An interesting fact about the Miami GP is that the lake where they put the yachts is fake. The owners of the yachts also have to spend upwards of $75,000 for a spot.

With the addition of the Hard Rock Stadium, the FIA had to find a way to add a dock. They ended up using plastic and wooden panels to hold up boats in order to give the Grand Prix effect.

The True American Race

The second race the U.S. gets to view is the United States Gp, which is also a circuit based race. The circuit is located in Austin, Texas, on the circuit of America. The reason for the race being so late in the season is due to the extreme temperatures during the summer months, which is why it is hosted in early fall. The U.S. grand prix is also the longest U.S. based race in formula 1 history. This will be the eighth annual consecutive race.

The 2022 cars during the 2023 season taking turn 16. This results in the cars being positioned in front of the Texas flag.

The City that Never Sleeps

The last U.S. based race is held in the city that never sleeps. The Las Vegas Gp is the third to last race, which is due to the weather since it is located in the desert. The Las Vegas race is a street circuit around the Las Vegas strip. The Las Vegas Gp is one of the most anticipated races out on the calendar. The reason for this anticipation is Las Vegas is America’s version of Monaco – with everything from the cars to the casinos – providing a venue that gives lovers of the sport even more excitement.

While You Wait

With there being 24 races a year, we get to see how 3 are featured in the U.S. For fans of F1, this is big news since it gives more opportunities to see the sport they admire in person. But, for the time being, the next Formula 1 race people are able to watch is Candian GP from June 7th-June 9th.

Works Cited:

F1 – the official home of Formula 1® racing. Formula 1® – The Official F1® Website. (n.d.). https://www.formula1.com/